Applying for USPTO Exam
Registration & Confirmation
Transfer & Substitution
Cancellation & Refund
Deciding when to apply is a function of
(a) how far you have advanced in your exam preparation schedule; and
(b) how long the USPTO's Office of Enrollment & Discipline ("OED") will
take in processing your application to sit for the exam.
Many aspects of your educational, technical, or residency background can
affect the speed with which OED is able to process your application.
Once OED approves your application, you must take the examination, if it is computer-based, within 90 days.
Details and exam applications are available at the OED website.
A paper examination is administered annually at the USPTO in Alexandria, VA, typically in July. Consult the OED website
PRG recommends studying the materials in the same format in which you plan to take the exam, i.e., computer-based exam takers should use the MPEP and Q&As that are a part of ExamWare™.
- Registration for Courses: Registration forms are available in PRG brochures and on this website. All registrations, to be complete, must be accompanied by the tuition fee, payable by check or credit card authorization (VISA, MasterCard and American Express are accepted). Telephone registrations are not accepted; and, for classroom courses, there will be no registration at the door. Registrations will be accepted in the order of receipt at PRG’s office and are limited by supplies of instructional materials and, for the classroom courses, by the capacity of available lecture hall facilities.
- Confirmation of Course Registrations: Each person from whom a completed course registration, including tuition payment, is received and accepted by PRG will promptly receive an email specifically stating and confirming that such person is registered for the course. Without that confirmation email, no person should assume that he or she has been accepted for the course. Video Course registrations also will be acknowledged by email.
- Transfer Policies for Classroom and Video Courses
- Classroom Patent Bar Review Registrants: If you originally registered for a Classroom Bar Review Course, you
may transfer to a different Classroom Bar Review Course to be held within 6 months after your original Classroom Course registration
(course availability and space permitting), or to a Video Course. You must make your transfer request in writing (by email or
facsimile) and the request must be
received at PRG no later than 5 p.m. Eastern time five business days before the Classroom Course for which you
originally registered. You can still transfer to another class up until 5 p.m. Eastern time on the last business day prior to
the start of your classroom course, but we will charge a 15% fee to cover the administrative costs associated with your transfer.
If you wish to add the Video course to your Classroom order, you may do so within 6 months of your original Classroom course for an
additional $820 ($500 if you originally paid the student rate).
- Video Patent Bar Review Course Registrant Transfer: If you originally registered for a Video Course, you may transfer to a
Classroom Course that is to be held within 6 months after your original Video Course registration (course availability and space
permitting), for the additional cost of $820 ($500 if you originally paid the student rate)
- Substitution Policy for Classroom Courses: In lieu of canceling, a registrant may have a substitute attend the course in the registrant’s place. Written notice of such substitution must be received in the PRG office by 5 p.m. Eastern time on the last business day before the course. Course materials must be physically transferred by the first registrant to the substitute. No additional materials will be available at the classroom course for the substitute attendee.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICIES FOR CLASSROOM AND VIDEO PATENT BAR REVIEW COURSES:
- FOR A CLASSROOM COURSE: A full refund is available if:
- written cancellation notice (by email or facsimile) is received in the PRG office no later than the pertinent registration deadline, as described on the applicable Classroom Course Registration Form or website page; AND
- all course materials are returned and received at the PRG office in resalable condition (defined below) within 5 calendar days of submittal of the cancellation request.
Returns received after this period will not be entitled to a full refund.
- FOR A VIDEO COURSE: A full refund is available if:
- written notice of cancellation (by email or facsimile) is received in PRG's office within 7 days of delivery of course materials to the registrant; AND
- all printed course materials are returned and received at the PRG office in resalable condition (defined below) within 5 calendar days of submittal of the cancellation request. Returns received after this period will not be entitled to a
- TUITION CREDIT FOR APPLICATION TO A FUTURE PRG COURSE
The registrant may request that the refundable amount be retained by PRG to create a tuition credit, which may be applied toward tuition for a future PRG course (whether a Patent Bar Review Course or an Advanced Course). The tuition credit will be issued in the name of the registrant if personal funds were used for the tuition or in the name of the registrant’s organization if the tuition was paid by the organization; and will be valid for 2 years from the date of issuance.
- RESALABLE CONDITION
For both the Classroom and Video Courses, "resalable condition" means that the printed matter (including lecture charts) has not been marked-up, highlighted, or otherwise damaged; and the ExamWare® and online Video courses have not been activated.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICES FOR ADVANCED CONFERENCE COURSES:
Notice to PRG - Written cancellation notice must be delivered to PRG by
email or facsimile. (As a safeguard, please call us at 703 682-4860, to make sure that your
cancellation notice facsimile has been received.)
Refund – Advanced Courses registrations may be cancelled for a full tuition refund or tuition credit (valid for 2 years from the date of issuance) according to the cancellation policy outlined in the course Acknowledgement Letter emailed to each attendee after the registration is processed. You may also request the Cancellation Policy in writing by either email (email@example.com) or by telephone: (703) 682-4860
No Refund or Tuition Credit Record - No tuition will be refunded and no tuition credit will be issued unless timely written notice of cancellation is received at PRG.
PRG Classroom Courses are accredited regularly by all state bar agencies which require continuing legal education participation of their members or are awarded CLE credit at an individual attorney’s request. Many states do not grant CLE credit for video courses. PRG Video Course registrants interested in CLE credit should contact their individual state bars to determine whether their states do grant CLE credit, and to pursue obtaining such credit if available. Based upon past experience, virtually all states should grant CLE credit for PRG's Patent Bar Review Classroom Courses in the amount (not guaranteed) of 37.5 total hours, including 1.5 hours for ethics. For Advanced Program Courses, virtually all states should grant CLE credit for the course in the amount of hours indicated on the course description on our website or in our brochures.
Each attorney admitted to a state bar having mandatory CLE requirements should indicate that state on the Classroom Patent Bar Review Registration Form so that required documentation of the attorney’s attendance may be furnished by PRG to the appropriate jurisdiction, or to the attorney, at the end of the course. PRG undertakes this procedure solely for Classroom Course attendees.
PRG is an Approved CLE Provider under California mandatory CLE rules. Patent Resources Group certifies that all of its courses conform to the standards for approved education activities prescribed by the rules and regulations of the State Bar of California governing minimum continuing legal education.
All inquiries specific to CLE should be directed to PRG’s CLE Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide your active CLE information (states and bar ID numbers) when registering for a course. This will allow PRG to apply for CLE state approval in a timely manner and avoid incurring late fees.
- Purchase Orders: Government and corporate purchase orders are not accepted in lieu of payment.
- Recording of Lectures Not Permitted: To ensure free, full and frank presentations by the faculty, as well as comments and questions from the audience, recording of any part of any PRG Course is prohibited. Agreement not to record is a condition for each registrant’s attendance and of PRG’s acceptance of each Course registration. Note-taking on the lecture charts is highly recommended; complimentary legal writing pads are also provided by PRG.
- Laptop Computers in Lecture Hall: Laptop computers are highly pilferable items and should not be left unattended.
Books and Publications Orders - You may return new, unopened books and publications orders purchased from PRG within 30 days of your order for a full refund. Items should be returned in their original packaging.
Further Information: If additional information is needed, please contact Patent Resources Group, Inc., 1725 Jamieson Avenue Alexandria, VA 22314. Email:email@example.com. Telephone inquiries may be directed to (703) 682-4860.